Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving with the inlaws.

















These are the lovely children in the Hauck family. Maddison (on lap) Carley, Kain, Pdog, Macy
(on lap) Alec and Zoey....The Hauck's have - without hesitation - accepted my children as their own (grandchildren) The day of the wedding Jack said to me "Jennifer, as far as we are concerned we have 7 grandchildren now" it was one of the most beautiful things.

This is Dewey, being silly as he carves the turkey. He is a goof and keeps me laughing and smiling everyday. Even when I do not feel like it , I smile :)


As I reflect on Thanksgiving and the business of the day I am reminded of all the provisions God has provided to Dewey, myself and our family. We are healthy, blessed with beautiful children, we have the privilege to have our parents around. We have grace and mercy everyday. And we had a 23 pounder to cook and be on the table hot at promptly 4:15pm!

I called my mother....please give me some cooking tips. This is my second turkey I have made and Dewey's first. To tell the story I must go back a few weeks. Dewey and I decided to invite his family over for Thanksgiving and my family for Christmas. Yet another compromise in our marriage - what family for what holiday, whose traditions do we keep? whose house for dinner? whose stuffing recipe do we use?...

Dewey left for hunting and I was wondering if he made the call to the Hauck's so I started with Dewey's sister-in-law. I asked if she heard that we would like to host Thanksgiving dinner. Rita insisted that Carol would never dream of anybody else hosting dinner. Rita has tried in the past. After the conversation..actually more like lecture. (I was listening) I was certain I would be a guest for dinner. I am cool with that, I like to bake but making a dinner is not my gift. I once told the kids I made hot dish...they came running like it was Christmas morning. They were clearly disappointed but tried to remember their manners. They asked , sheepishly "This is hot dish?" making sure not to hurt my feelings. Well, yes it is....as I look at my brown rice mixed with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a few broccoli bites on top. I am learning how to jazz up rice still today.

So back to the dinner. Dewey and his brother Heath (Rita's husband) came home from hunting and Dewey told his parents we would like to host dinner. By this time I had ten days to reflect on something that once sounded terrific!! O, how fun to have the in laws over, and make the dinner with all the fixings. I had not spoke with Dewey so I could not express my second thoughts I was having...My mom and grandma made cooking look easy, I make ordering pizza look easy, I have at least three pizza joints on speed dial. Can I do it....they are always watching the new daughter-in-law. I don't need to impress them but I want to at least have a nice dinner..what to do???

Dewey called after returning from the shack....he knew the minute his mom hit the floor in relief, that we were hosting this year.
So we planned the meal. thats easy...Turkey, mash potatoes, squash ( a Johnson must have) rolls, cranberry's, stuffing, and pies. I get a call from Rita...trying to read her tone and between the lines...she says, Well... I heard that Dewey talked to Carol and wants to host Thanksgiving...almost like the conversation may have not happened ten days earlier hmmm..?
She was kind and asked to help out. I was not going to turn down help! I gave her a couple options, pies...pies...or... Rita offered to bake two pumpkin pies, bring the cranberry's and the corn - Carol Always has corn.... She asked what kind of rolls will I have..I said I didn't know but I will take care of them. We went with Pillsbury-pop and fresh... not my grandmas rolls but hey! I was the host! The dinner went off with out a hitch.... Dewey and I survived the stress of a holiday with 14 guests and the loving memory of us hosting dinner together, something we always wanted ...a family to love and love us back...a family to come to dinner..little ones running around , laughter and memories ...it was great.

The best part, to see my wonderful husband at the head of the table saying grace for our meal and knowing that he has the family he has always prayed for.

Love
Jennifer

No comments: